Photo credits: Living a Stout Life
The Colorado Brewers Guild (CBG) is pleased to congratulate the 19 Colorado breweries, 18 of which who are craft breweries, that collected a total of 24 awards at the World Beer Cup award ceremony on May 10, 2023 in Nashville, TN where awards were given in 103 beer-style categories.
The Brewers Association started the global competition in 1996 to celebrate the art and science of brewing. World Beer Cup winners were selected by an international panel of 272 beer judges from 26 countries. Widely recognized as the “Olympics of Beer,” the World Beer Cup saw an impressive field of 10,213 of beers from 2,376 breweries in 51 countries.
“Colorado brewers continue to prove that they brew world class beers through their consistency and diversity in beer styles” says CBG Executive Director Shawnee Adelson. “This is demonstrated by the number of repeat winners and new winners that took home hardware this year.”
In total there were eight breweries that took home their first World Beer Cup hardware this year. Trump Hands from Cannonball Creek Brewing Company earned their third World Beer Cup for that beer. Notably, there were several winners who took home multiple awards, including Verboten Brewing and Barrel Project who took home three awards, as well as Joyride Brewing Company, Resolute Brewing Company, River North Brewery who all took home two awards.
2023 Colorado Craft Beer Award-Winning Winners:
- Yellow Fever – Comrade Brewing Company (Gold in the Chili Beer category. Winner in 2016 for this beer)
- Coffee Roaster’s – Uhl’s Brewing Company (Bronze in Coffee Stout or Porter category. First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Trump Hands – Cannonball Creek Brewing Company (Silver in Session India Pale Ale category. Third time in a row winner for this beer)
- Two Teef – Guanella Pass Brewing Company (Silver in Historical Beer category. First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Seven Spice Anniversary Saison – Holidaily Brewing Company (Silver in Gluten-Free Beer category. First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Temporary Paradise – Bull & Bush Brewery (Silver in Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer category)
- Ginette – Jessup Farm Barrel House (Gold in Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer category. First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Vladislav – Diebolt Brewing Co. (Bronze in Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Stout category. Winner in 2018 for this beer)
- You’re a Funny Guy – The Empourium Brewing Co. (Bronze in International-Style Lager category)
- Strange Fest – Strange Craft Beer Co. (Silver in German-Style Maerzen or Franconian-Style Rotbier category)
- New Zealand Pale Ale – Station 26 Brewing Co. (Bronze in International Pale Ale category)
- Spirit of the West – Westbound & Down Brewing Company (Silver in International India Pale Ale category. First time World Beer Cup winner and 2022 GABF silver medal for this beer)
- Flying W Hefeweizen – Little Dry Creek Brewery (Silver in South German-Style Hefeweizen category)
- Muscle Memory – Cerebral Brewing (Silver in Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale category. First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Verboten Brewing and Barrel Project earned three awards:
- Grow Old With You (Silver in Barley-Wine Style Ale category)
- Pure Imagination (Gold in Oatmeal Stout category)
- Others in Darkness (Gold in British-Style Imperial Stout category)
- Joyride Brewing Company earned two awards
- Ice Cutter Kölsch (Bronze in German-Style Koelsch category. Joyride received back to back wins for this beer)
- You Have to Call Me Nighthawk (Bronze in American-Style Strong Pale Ale category)
- Resolute Brewing Company earned two awards (First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Unearthing the Orb (Gold in Smoke Beer category)
- Execrator (Silver in German-Style Doppelbock or Eisbock category)
- River North Brewery earned two awards (First time World Beer Cup winner)
- Midnight Hike (Gold in Chocolate Beer Category)
- Snowburn River (Bronze in Other Strong Beer category)
“Congratulations to all of our member breweries!” says Adelson.
For the full list of 2023 World Beer Cup award winners, visit the World Beer Cup website.